mental health resources
SUICIDE & CRISIS SUPPORT
More Crisis support
- Child Protection Helping (to report child abuse or neglect) 13 21 11
- Domestic Violence Line (for help for domestic and family violence) 1800 656 463
- Kids Helpine (for kids' conselling) 1800 551 800
- Link2home (for homelessness information) 1800 152 152
- Mental Health Access Line (for mental health crisis support) 1800 011 511
- Rape Crisis Centre (for counselling and information for men and women) 1800 424 017
- Suicide Call Back Service (for counselling and support service) 1300 659 467
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT
- Aftercare (for psychosocial support) 0429 046 925
- Beyond Blue (for mental health information and support) 1800 656 463
- The Butterfly Association (support for eating disorders) 1800 551 800
- eheadspace (free online & telephone mental health support for young people) 1800 152 152
- headspace Lithgow (free face-to-face mental health support for young people) 02 6352 7600
- headspace Penrith(free face-to-face mental health support for young people) 02 4720 8800
- MensLine Australia (counselling for men with family & relationship concerns) 1300 789 978
- Mindspot (free telephone & online service for adults with anxiety and depression) 1800 614 434
- Neami National (group program for people with emerging mental health concerns) 8416 1190
- NewAccess (free coaching for depression & anxiety - Lithgow & Hawkesbury only) 6333 2838
- QLife (LGBTQI Counselling) 1800 184 527
- Relationships Australia 1300 364 277
- Veterans & Veterans' Family Counselling Services (VVCS) 1800 011 046
- Youth Early Support Service (YESS) (Mental health outreach service for youth) 4720 8811
- 1800 Respect (sexual assault and family/domestic violence counselling) 1800 737 732
ALCOHOL, DRUGS & GAMBLING
- Adele House (residential rehabilitation program for men) 1300 286 693
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) (support for men and women for alcohol misuse concerns) 1300 222 222
- Al-Anon Family Groups (advice for family & friends of people with addiction) 1300 252 666
- Alcohol & Drug Information Service (ADIS) (24 hour support line) 1800 250 615
- Dianella Cottage (non-residential drug and alcohol service for men & women) 4782 9265
- Drug & Alcohol Helpline (free online counselling & informations service) 1800 422 599
- NBM Drug & Alcohol Service (central intake, assessment & treatment) 1300 661 050
- Family Drug Support (FDS) (Support for people with a drug dependence) 1300 858 584
- Gambling Help (free & confidential support) 1800 858 858
- Narcotics Anonymous (for recovering addicts) 1300 652 820
free services available in our local community
For many individuals and families, private psychology services are simply unaffordable. If this is the case for you, please do consider contacting these mental health services which offer free counselling and are all within a one hour drive of the upper mountains:- headspace Lithgow (free mental health support for young people aged 12 - 25 years ) 02 6352 7600 headspace Penrith (free mental health support for young people aged 12 - 25 years) 02 4720 8800 LikeMind Penrith (free mental health support for adults) 02 8880 8111
________________________________________NewAccess, developed by Beyond Blue, is a free mental health coaching program for anyone aged 16 and over who’s stressed, or feeling anxious or overwhelmed about everyday life issues, such as work, study, relationships and loneliness.
How does NewAccess work?Everyone needs some guidance at some point in their lives, and NewAccess aims to coach you through the tough times and make it easier for you to get support. NewAccess coaches are local people, trained in Low Intensity Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Over six sessions your NewAccess coach will work with you to understand the issues causing your distress. They support you to overcome difficult issues and regain confidence, providing you with practical skills to manage your stress and get back to feeling like yourself. NewAccess is NOT a crisis service. It is an early intervention program designed to support people early and prevent potential crises down the track.
How do I access the program?NewAccess is a confidential and free program for people in Western NSW as well as Lithgow, Hawkesbury, the Blue Mountains and Nepean regions, over the age of 16. It is available over the phone or face-to-face.
You don’t need a medical referral or Mental Health Treatment Plan to access the program.To find out more about NewAccess, visit their website or call 02 6333 2838 during business hours.More information• Call us on 02 6333 2838• Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org• Visit the Beyond Blue websiteThis service is supported by the Western NSW Primary Health Network and the Nepean Blue Mountains Primary Health Network.________________________________________Bushfire Psychological Treatment Service Who is it for?The Bushfire PTS stream is available to anyone in our region experiencing high levels of distress resulting from the recent bushfires. The impact of the bushfires must be a significant contributor to a person’s deterioration in mental health if they are referred to this service. For example, people who have experienced loss of property, loss of business income, or have experienced significant mental health impacts as a result of threat of bushfire, which could be from past trauma.How does the Bushfire PTS stream work?
Individual must be an adult over 25 years or a child 12 years and under, unless they are being seen as part of a family group. (For young people aged 12 - 25 years support is available under the headspace which has received specific bushfire funding) Individuals must be referred by their GP, psychiatrist or pediatrician Individuals are entitled to up to 10 free face-to-face sessions until June 2021 No Centrelink issued pension or Health Care Card is required No Mental Health Care Plan is required, however your GP may choose to complete one at their discretion Where appropriate, couples or family members who meet the eligibility criteria may be referred and seen together rather than individually Individuals currently receiving services under other PTS steams are eligible for sessions under this new stream Individuals who use services through the Better Access Bushfire Recovery initiative can also access the Bushfire PTS stream, and vice versa.
How do I access the Bushfire PTS service?Your GP must refer you via our intake line and complete a referral form. Print Bushfire PTS flyer to take to your GP PDF (704kb)
For other free counselling services, visit the Mental Health Navigation Tool provided by Nepean Blue Mountains Partners in Recovery.